What are Terms of Membership?
"How does one become a member of the church of Christ? What are the terms of membership?"
The New Testament gives certain steps that were taken by believers in that day to become Christians. Those who repented and were baptized were saved (Acts 2:38) and added to the church (Acts 2:47). According to Acts 2:37, it is God who does the adding. The conditions of pardon which are taught in the New Testament are:
- One must hear the gospel, for "faith comes by hearing the word of God" (Romans 10:17).
- One must believe, for "without faith it is impossible to please God" (Hebrews 11:6)
- One must repent of past sins, for God "commands all men, everywhere to repent" (Acts 17:30).
- One must confess Jesus as Lord, for He said, "He that confesses me before men, him will I also confess before my father who is in Heaven" (Matthew 10:32).
- One must be baptized for the remission of sins, for Peter said "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins…" (Acts 2:38).
- One must live a faithful life, for it is said, "…Be faithful until death, and I will give you a crown of life." (Revelation 2:10).
When a person became a Christian, they automatically became a member of the Lord's church.